Yemeni state-run Saba television reported that the Iranian-backed Houthis targeted both the Al-Mokha port and the district center in Taiz province on the Red Sea coast. One port security officer lost his life in the strikes while eight civilians sustained injuries. The attacks also left two sailors missing, the broadcaster said. Spokesperson for the government-affiliated National Resistance Forces Sadık Duveyd provided a detailed tally of the munitions involved.
Duveyd said the Houthis had carried out the assaults across multiple days using 40 ballistic missiles, 46 drones and several bomb-laden boats. The targets included the commercial port along with facilities that supply essential services to the civilian population. Al-Mokha remains under the control of forces aligned with Yemen’s internationally recognized government.
The port’s strategic location on the Red Sea has made it a repeated point of contention in the country’s long-running conflict. Al Jazeera reported that Houthi strikes on the same area earlier in the week killed at least seven people and wounded more than 30 others in assaults on August 9 and 10. Those barrages hit both the port and residential zones, according to multiple accounts from Yemeni authorities.
Council on Foreign Relations tracking of the Yemen conflict shows that Houthi operations in August 2026 have extended beyond Al-Mokha to include strikes on Marib, cargo vessels in the Bab el-Mandeb strait and Saudi-linked targets. At least four crew members died in one Red Sea shipping attack earlier this month, the Yemeni transport ministry stated. The broader Red Sea crisis has produced cumulative civilian casualties exceeding 300 since its intensification, according to aggregated reports cited by Wikipedia editors drawing on Sky News and other monitors.
Yemeni government officials have accused the Houthis of deliberately hitting civilian infrastructure in the latest round. The National Resistance Forces described the assaults as part of a sustained campaign against areas outside Houthi control. Similar strikes the previous week produced additional deaths and injuries, Saba television noted in its coverage.
French broadcaster France 24 reported that the August 9 strikes on Mocha, as Al-Mokha is also known, heightened concerns over threats to shipping lanes and the risk of a wider resumption of full-scale civil war. The port serves as a vital logistics node for government-aligned forces operating in southwestern Yemen. No independent verification of the precise casualty figures from August 15 was immediately available from international monitors.

Добавить комментарий